Friday 29 August 2008

My Gratitude to an Old Lady- By Sas

I woke up sluggish and lazy. “I am not really looking forward for this day” I said to myself while reluctantly put my old batik blanket aside. The ritual of the day began – fulfilling my biological need for water disposal, opening all curtains, windows and doors and a pitcher of drinking water. The dim warming light from God did not even help much to spark the day. Half asleep, I went out trying to keep myself from falling asleep again. Ito and his mum were still asleep and so I could not really rely on them to jumpstart my spirit.

I looked at the all the fish in the thick green water pond – happy to be alive – I thought I heard them said it. “Good morning Queen Mary” thought I as I sprayed some water on a piece of stony art work and all the flowers around her. Just as I finish saying the greeting, I heard a lady’s voice – loud and clear. “Kulonuwun Buuuu”, she said in a very strong Javanese accent. Certainly not Queen Mary said it for as far as I remembered from the Bible, she did not speak Javanese.

I walked to the front yard to find an old woman figure sitting on the green ceramic floor. Standing next to her was her bamboo woven container full with banana leaf wrappers. All of the sudden as I approached, I was immediately welcomed by the fragrant smell of banana leaf warmed by something inside it.

Ito and his Mum opened the front door and jumped straight into a cheerful chit chat with the old lady dressed in an old hand painted piece of kebaya and delicate art work of batik cloth. I did not pay attention to what they were talking about though. My eyes were glued on the banana leaf wrappers. It was sweating – signifying the warm stuff inside. And the smell of the extensive range of spices cooked on a hard wooden fire was tickling every nerve in my nose and mouth – so tempting. With my mouth watering, I could not resist myself from picking one them. I did not bother paying nor saying anything to the woman, Ito nor my wife. My mind was enslaved by the stuff. I went straight to the kitchen, grabbed a spoon and, intensely, opened up the wrappers.

Just as I lifted the top wrapper, I could see smoke ‘billowed’ from the stuff and brought with it all the heavenly fragrances of perfect mixed ingredients cooked in an ancient daily ritual. My eyes suddenly captured the food I had been longing for – not a fancy high cost royal cuisine nor highly stylish imported delicacies. It was just a local ‘ndesa’ (rural) kind of food. It was so common food that nobody considered cooking nowadays. I scooped a lump of rice and side dish, put it in my mouth, ….. and it was enough to slap my soul and tap my spirit. “I am glad to be alive”, my soul and my spirit said simultaneously and it ws just the right thing to start my day. Thank you old lady in stylish classic dress for the good food of my body and soul.


Dedicated to Mbah Kerto

2 comments:

Esa said...

I miss Mbah Kerto Pak... hiks...

Anonymous said...

me tooo